it sounds like a useful generalisation if it covers cases such as official rain
start time each day being 9am - rather than $bod, make it $hour or $offset or
similar e.g. $span($day_delta=1, $hour=9) for previous day’s rain and
$span($day_delta=0, $hour=9) for today’s rain.
i guess it would imply a $span($week_delta=1, $day=2) and perhaps even
$span($week_delta=2, $day=3, $hour=9)