Good looking out, thanks. I think I have a Galaxy Tab A somewhere around
here. I may give that a shot first then move to the pi if it doesn't work
out. If I don't already have something I'll go the pi route.

Do you have specific links to the EcoWitt stuff you mentioned? Can it be
expanded if I wanted to (thinking maybe lightning detection)?

Thanks!