So the weewx python code says it is using the Ryan and Stolzenbach model,
which has a few approximations that don't work well in some cases, and it
looks like this is one of them.

I've attached a plot comparing 3 insolation models predicting global
horizontal irradiation.
Bird and Hulstrom 1991
Bras 1992
and  Ryan and Stolzenbach  1972

B&H has a lot more parameters to account for, but I have just thrown in the
date/location for Boston, using whatever parameters were in the
spreadsheet, and come up with the following comparison.
I used the B&H predictions for modelling my solar PV system and found it
gives very close results - or at least it did before my system got a bit
older.  However R&S also gives results that aren't too bad in my location.

I have the code in php, but no spare time at the moment to convert to
python.

On Tuesday, 22 December 2020 at 2:19:29 am UTC+10 t...@tom.org wrote:

> kk, glad you corroborated my observations. I am no expert in this for
> sure. I am just tired of all of the comments I get from visitors to the
> website about how my readings exceed theoretical max. I could remove the
> max, but that doesn't seem fun.
>
> I do not have the expertise to validate the way weewx calculates it nor am
> I even competent in Python, but for those who may, here is a link to the
> code:
>

> https://github.com/weewx/weewx/blob/d91635f3bc429f906d1f084c6a6bc8ee09fa1a27/bin/weewx/wxformulas.py#L332
>

> On Sunday, December 20, 2020 at 1:26:31 PM UTC-5 kk44...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> I found that thread interesting, so I added the column "maxSolarRad",
>> too.
>>
>> [image: dayradiation.png]
>> Readings of the console and the WeatherLinkLive device are quite the
>> same. And the readings of "radiation" are higher than "maxSolarRad". The
>> values I upload to the local weather network are well in the range of other
>> stations nearby.
>>

>> Greg Troxel schrieb am Sonntag, 20. Dezember 2020 um 17:58:01 UTC+1:

>>> (observed),
>>>
>>> The answer is to just add it and label it; it comes out in green after
>>> radiation in blue and max in red. Pro Tip: add it after radiation_max,
>>> which is the max of local observations, and don't stick the line after
>>> the radiation_max header and the 4 lines defining how max should be.
>>>

>>> [[[dayradiation]]]
>>> [[[[radiation]]]]
>>> [[[[radiation_max]]]]
>>> data_type = radiation