Hi

Sorry about the name!

Been for a walk and a think, and worked out what you are telling me.  The
consoles no longer have USB, and the station in the garden can connect to a
console and/or a GW1000. I can plug a G1000 into my Pi and use a driver in
the way I'm used to.

I'm not interested in a console, the current one is completely hidden.

So it's off to shop.  The GW1000 - presumably exclusive to FineOffset
clones.