Yes, seems like you understand it now.

Here are some added tidbits to understand though....
The GW1000 has a USB plug but that is only used for power. You can
certainly power it by the Pi, but you don't have to. You can plug the
GW1000 to any USB power source. Do though consider that some power sources
are less than adequate because some have been known to cause electronic
interference with the sensor RF reception. I've tested the GW1000 with my
Pi and it has no problems. But that could also be a function of the power
supply I'm using with the Pi (I don't know). So just be aware that finding
the adequate power source for the GW1000 is sometimes a concern. I don' t
really want you to worry about that too much, because the majority of users
do not have this problem. It is just good to be aware of it. Therefore
realize that the GW1000 only sends data via the network to whatever
application or device talks to it....that can be WeeWX with the GW1000 API
driver or the mobile app WS View which you'll need to initially configure
the GW1000 or any other software you may decide to run (Cumulus MX,
Meteobridge, Weather-Display...etc.).

To recap...no data over USB on GW1000...The USB is only used for power. Use
a good clean USB power source.

Since you don't really want a display console then you should consider
looking into the following Ecowitt complete kit models.
GW1001 - all-in-one sensor array
GW1002 - separate sensor components with spinning anemometer
GW1003 - separate sensor components with ultrasonic anemometer

All three of those complete kits come with the same GW1000. The complete
station is referred to by those model names...but the GW1000 part is still
just a regular GW1000. The GW1000 is also available separately if you
wanted to add it to an existing station that came with a display console.

Your question about the GW1000 being exclusive to Fine Offset is an odd
question. The GW1000 is a Fine Offset part and it only works with other
compatible Fine Offset sensors. You will not be able to use a GW1000 with
any other manufacture's sensors. That said realize that Fine Offset is the
manufacture and there are reseller brands that slap their brand name on
Fine Offset hardware. There are some resellers like Froggit, Ambient,
Conrad, Misol, Watson, etc....that likely sell not just FIne Offset clones
but they sell stations manufactured by other companies. These weather
stations by other manufactures cannot share parts. Therefore when buying a
weather station from say Watson or any other reseller it is important to
know if the model you are looking at is a Fine Offset clone or some station
from a different manufacture. If you become familiar with the Fine Offset
catalog you will be able to recognize sensors and display consoles just by
looking at them. If it is a Fine Offset clone then it will look like a Fine
Offset clone. There is no way to confuse a CCL clone or UCTECH clone for a
Fine Offset. The Ecowitt brand is special and they are not like the other
resellers. This is because Ecowitt only sells FIne Offset as they are owned
and operated by Fine Offset....they are essentially the same company and
they share employees. The way to consider it is that Ecowitt is the retail
subsidiary of Fine Offset. You can't buy directly from Fine Offset (unless
you are a reseller). So you can familiarize yourself with the Fine Offset
catalog and the Ecowitt catalog (same thing but different websites), so
that you can become familiar with what all these models look like and what
they offer. Then you can more easily window shop and look at Watson,
Conrad, Misol, Froggit and not be confused with what is and what isn't a
Fine Offset clone.
www.foshk.com
www.ecowitt.com