Hi Chris,
I've been in a similar situation to you.
My web hosting service didn't allow me to run a MQTT broker and the (free)
public brokers didn't perform very well. The majority of MQTT packages got
lost and were not delivered to the web client.
So in the end I've decided to rent an additional vServer and run my own
MQTT broker. The setup was really easy, but there's a server cost of
approx. 2€ per month.

Manfred