I didn't remove any lines, only credentials etc. and yes, that's the
version I had a problem with (am on Python v3.8.5). I'm happy to know that
the problem is not the database. To be clear, this was the sequence

1. Fresh install of WeeWX 4.x on new Pi (upgraded later)
2. Old skin and conf files copied to new Pi; simulator configured initially
in place of WH1080 driver; uploads to Internet services commented out
3. GW1000 driver installed on new Pi, skin changes made
4. weewx.conf copied in preparation for cutover; uploads reinstated by
removing commenting
5. Old WeeWX (also 4.4) stopped and database copied and swapped in
6. New weewx.conf with uncommented uploads swapped in and weewx restarted

When it failed I compared the old and new weewx.conf files using Beyond
Compare, which highlights changes. I started commenting things out again to
see if I could figure out what was wrong before eventually reverting to
prior db and conf file. File edits were made using Atom via an exported NFS
share, which I haven't had any issues with doing before. What I was aiming
to do was keep both systems running but swap the uploads task from one to
another. My concern to minimize the outage time -- and perhaps doing it at
midnight -- may have led to some mistake. I wouldn't have posted at all if
I knew for sure it wasn't potentially db related. Many thanks for checking
the file. I'll repeat the process and try again after I've merged the
records I want.