Installed 4.4 using latest install method in documentation - configure apt,
install. It runs fine. Then I look for the "latest" info on installing
owfs, and I found and followed this
https://github.com/weewx/weewx/wiki/owfss  & I read the introduction.
At this point I should note I have previous weewx running for several yrs
including a Davis and the Sheepwalk "rpi3v2" pi hat which provides ow bus,
the 4 measurements are incorporated into my system just fine. I installed
that using the setup.py, and I'm sure I followed something similar to my
above quote, if not that exactly. I'm not going to touch that setup.
This
sudo PYTHONPATH=/usr/share/weewx python /usr/share/weewx/user/owfs.py
--readings
has NEVER worked for me even on the existing PI3b running weewx 3.91 but
data comes through fine, so I wasn't surprised about it. Anyway here is
some pertinent settings:
pi@PI4BUSB:~ $ sudo python -V
Python 2.7.16
Note: I also have Python v3 installed, it was installed via pip3 to get the
almanac stuff.
Excerpt from weewx.conf:
[Engine]

    # The following section specifies which services should be run and in
what order.
    [[Services]]
        prep_services = weewx.engine.StdTimeSynch
        data_services = user.owfs.OWFSService
        process_services = weewx.engine.StdConvert,
weewx.engine.StdCalibrate, weewx.engine.StdQC,
weewx.wxservices.StdWXCalculate
        xtype_services = weewx.wxxtypes.StdWXXTypes,
weewx.wxxtypes.StdPressureCooker, weewx.wxxtypes.StdRainRater,
weewx.wxxtypes.StdDelta
        archive_services = weewx.engine.StdArchive
        restful_services = weewx.restx.StdStationRegistry,
weewx.restx.StdWunderground, weewx.restx.StdPWSweather,
weewx.restx.StdCWOP, weewx.restx.StdWOW, weewx.restx.StdAWEKAS
        report_services = weewx.engine.StdPrint, weewx.engine.StdReport
[OWFS]
    driver = user.owfs
    interface = /dev/i2c-1
    [[sensor_map]]
        extraTemp1 = uncached/28.029007D6013C/temperature
        extraTemp2 = uncached/28.D28607D6013C/temperature
        extraTemp3 = uncached/28.9BAB07D6013C/temperature
    [[sensor_type]]
        extraTemp1 = gauge
        extraTemp2 = gauge
        extraTemp3 = gauge
#
Here's the weewx.log upon restarting:
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[8998]: Starting weewx weather system: weewx.
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__: Caught unrecoverable
exception:
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****  No
one-wire library found
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****  Traceback
(most recent call last):
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****    File
"/usr/share/weewx/user/owfs.py", line 264, in <module>
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****      ow =
OWFSBinding()
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****    File
"/usr/share/weewx/user/owfs.py", line 202, in __init__
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****      import
ow as owbinding
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'ow'
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****  During
handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****  Traceback
(most recent call last):
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****    File
"/usr/share/weewx/user/owfs.py", line 267, in <module>
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****      ow =
OWNetBinding()
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****    File
"/usr/share/weewx/user/owfs.py", line 231, in __init__
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****      import
pyownet
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pyownet'
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****  During
handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****  Traceback
(most recent call last):
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****    File
"/usr/share/weewx/weewxd", line 151, in main
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****      engine
= weewx.engine.StdEngine(config_dict)
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****    File
"/usr/share/weewx/weewx/engine.py", line 93, in __init__
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****
self.loadServices(config_dict)
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****    File
"/usr/share/weewx/weewx/engine.py", line 161, in loadServices
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****      obj =
weeutil.weeutil.get_object(svc)(self, config_dict)
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****    File
"/usr/share/weewx/weeutil/weeutil.py", line 1093, in get_object
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****      mod =
__import__(module)
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****    File
"/usr/share/weewx/user/owfs.py", line 269, in <module>
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****      raise
Exception("No one-wire library found")
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****  Exception:
No one-wire library found
Apr  1 09:06:07 PI4BUSB weewx[9013] CRITICAL __main__:     ****  Exiting.
========
Weather station type: Simulator
Installation method: apt
========
Somewhere I have gotten caught up in the disconnect between the different
documentation between github & Weewx documentation. Like I said, I have
this ow host adapter running just fine on weewx 3.9.1 on a Pi3b, for
several years, installed via setup.py method (although my instint tells me
the setup method may not be the problem).
I'd appreciate your help, Thanks.