Hmmm, the upgrade process should have upgraded the version number in
weewx.conf. Are you sure you're looking at the right one? If you did a
Debian install it should be at /etc/weewx/weewx.conf.

There were no changes to weewx.conf, so, if it comes to it, you can just
change the version number. But, it would be useful to know what happened.