Thanks for this comment Gary. You forced me to reevaluate.. and I realized
I was looking at an old install of weewx on my Pi, not the one that was
active.  Not used to the Pi's software being installed more spread out.
 The two patches are now properly applied and SSH is working well.

Thank you all for your quick work.