I'm using a VP2 - about 12 years worth now. My connection is via a serial
Weatherlink in a Weather Envoy, as my weewx install is in the basement and
my console is upstairs in the living room. Since the WL Live came out the
Envoy is more affordable than it used to be, and works great. If you can
put your console next to (or close to) the weewx PC then you can just use
the serial/USB module, otherwise you'll need the Envoy.

I use the standard anemometer on my roof; I also have a Tempest with sonic
anemometer, and it doesn't seem to be quite as accurate or sensitive as the
old-school version. (It's also $500 extra, and I'm cheap...) My anemometer
has needed absolutely no maintenance in that 12 years. I'm also thinking
about using the AirLink if I can get it's data pulled into weewx and
integrated, but haven't seen any discussion about it in here.

Next plan is to start using the Tempest to report into a weewx instance and
see how it compares to the VP2, If it's accurate and reliable it'll go up
on the roof pole with the VP2 anemometer and do it's thing.