Here's my 2-cents worth.  I have been fighting this error for 1-2 years
with a Vantage VUE and a roughly 6-year-old USB logger.  It's always on
startup (or after a reboot.)  It happens a few times and then stops.  So
here are the things I've done to "fix" it.

(1) Cleared the logger and reset the console (batteries out, etc.)

(2) Replaced the Raspberry Pi hardware entirely (went from a 4GB to an 8GB
Pi 4)

(3) Tried using a powered USB hub in case everything is drawing too much
current.  It didn't help, so I removed it.

(3) Changed USB cables and then added ferrite chokes to the most recent one.

(4) Rebuilt the operating system from scratch, going from 32-bit Raspberry
O/S to the Arm64 port of Debian GNU/Linux 11.

(5) Re-installed weewx from scratch, including all the extensions I use.

(5) Faithfully upgraded to every release of weewx (currently v4.8.0)

(6) Replaced the data logger with a new one.

I still get 3 to 5 of those "expected 99, got 0" errors one each boot, and
then it settles down and hums along without any more until the next reboot.

My conclusion is that this is an annoying bug/defect in the Davis hardware
or firmware that I am unwilling to chase any further.  The system works
fine, and if I don't look at the logs for the first 5-10 minutes after a
restart, it doesn't bother me.  If someone finds a permanent fix, I'll
apply it, but I've decided to live with it for now.

Paul VE1DX

https://ve1dx.net/