I chose to average the LOOP radiation readings and only to do the threshold
calculation and make the sun/no sun determination every 30 seconds because
I thought doing it on every LOOP might overload LOOP processing (I am
running weewx on a Pi 3B, which is also doing a few other things which use
the CPU). If this is an unnecessary concern, as it may very well be, your
modified code is much cleaner than mine.