My reaction to all of this is that if you want to have status on whether
the upload succeeded you really want to have that flow from the code in
weewx hitting a point where it believes it got an ack.  Listening to
network traffic seems like a really wrong way to do it, and if the
upload is https -- which more or less everything should be -- then it's
going to be hard to determine that there was an ack.

Watching logs is reasonable because there is a direct flow from
  code believes upload succeeded
  code calls logging statement
  log line ends up in log

It's far more reliable and lower cost to just basically tail -f the log
(surely there is some python log-watcher module that copes with
rotation) and parses the lines and then does whatever.

This discussion makes me thing weewx (and programs in general)  should
have some hook facility where there is a hook object with defined
methods that can be subclassed, and then you can add hook objects to
various parts of the code.  Functionally this amounts to changing the
code, but doing so by having the ability to change part permanently in
the code and your part loaded, so it's stable across upgrades.