Though I have an RTC on both Pi, I install always install chrony
On my primary server, I have chrony running using NTS servers as its time
source. I allow clients from the LAN on this machine.
I have all other machines that can run it use chrony with my LAN server as
the only source. If a device only has a time source (NTP) field, I use the
LAN address of the main server.
Though the load is low, it keeps additional traffic off my WAN and has
proven to be accurate over the years. More so that NTPD in my location.

I too have come to look for fake-hwclock and remove it.