I don't know about the HP2551, but I know a bit about the GW1100 phoning
home.
I first found it on a solar powered station with no internet.
The GW1100 doesn't stop, but it resets it's WiFi every 10 minutes if it
can't touch home.
The community was great with helping to find a solution. I spoofed it to
using a local server,
and I also had to provide a local time server in order to get rain
measurements.