If you are willing to roll up your sleeves and get technical, serving your
website at home can be done safely and securely without changing your
firewall. There are some steps to do, but at the end it will save you money
and it will give you some real-world IT experience.

So to self-host your WeeWX website, I would do the following

NOTE: This is a high-level checklist. there are lot of steps for each item.

1. Get a domain name. Porkbun.com is cheap, but Google Domains works too.
2. You need to have a NameServer Service to tell the internet where your
website is. My checklist will use CloudFlare (free). They have a bunch of
services that we are going to use to make this happen.
3. Once you buy your domain name, you will need to point it to Cloudflare's
Servers. Cloudflare's setup will walk you through it. This will take 4 - 24
hours to propagate across the internet (your response may vary).
4. Once it is propagated (Cloudflare sends an email to you), You will setup
your website inside the tool. We are going to setup "Zero Trust" tunnel
that will create a secure tunnel between cloudflare and your server. I have
a video that walks this whole process through (including configuring
cloudflare)

https://youtu.be/eojWaJQvqiw

This tunnel is the KEY. This tunnel will encrypt the traffic coming to your
domain, secure your domain with an SSL Certificate, and essentially expose
it directly on your server. Again this service is free for small domains
(like weather station sites!) and does not expose your network to the
internet directly.

5. Within the tool you will configure your Server name and the port (80)
that your webserver is now hosting your WeeWX site. You will have to
install a package from Cloudflare to act as the broker for the connection.
The video goes over a container-approach, but in Cloudflare's
documentation, they cover a linux server install.

The benefits of doing this approach are:

1. Site gets a free SSL certificate (https:) that is handled by Cloudflare
2. Cloudflare acts as a reverse proxy to broker your connection from the
internet to your server and port.
3. connection between Cloudflare and your server is secure. You do not need
to open a port for this.
4. You get website statistics and other security features for your website
for free from cloudflare.

Check out the video and let me know if this helps. There are other
resources on the internet that can help on this setup.

Doug Jenkins