I had not changed defaults.py but I 'had' neglected to add to
extensions.py, which didn't help unfortunately.

All the labels in my skin for concentrations that refer to elements from
the secondary purpleair.sdb are garbled even when added to extensions.py
but if I check some single character labels in weewx.sdb (outTemp,
radiation) those look ok.  Checking the concentration label (pm2_5) used in
weewx.sdb looks garbled too.  Seems to be something with labels with more
than one character to interpret perhaps.  I dunno.  So odd.

I tried adding my test page to Seasons, thinking skin.conf perhaps, but
that didn't help.  Garbled there too.

Switching to encoding=utf-8 breaks the degree symbol everywhere in 'my'
skin, garbling it similar to the concentration label.  Interestingly when I
go utf-8 in skin.conf for Seasons 'that' skin's output still looks fine
(hmmm) other than my test page therein which still looks garbled (sigh....)

I'm going to try my modified test page on v4 .deb in a x86 VM and take the
pi os and v5 pip/venv differences out of the equation and see if there's
any difference.

#errorCatcher Echo
<head>
  <title> test page </title>