Invisible Man <axelle.apvri...@gmail.com> writes:

> I used to use Weewx Twitter extension
> (https://github.com/matthewwall/weewx-twitter).
> Am I right to say it no longer works now with Twitter, unless you have a
> paid API subscription?
>
> ```
> Aug 26 18:16:22 vegan weewx[20951] ERROR user.twitter: Failed attempt 3 of
> 3: Twitter API returned a 403 (Forbidden), You currently have access to a
> subset of Twitter API v2 endpoints and limited v1.1 endpoints (e.g. media
> post, oauth) only. If you need access to this endpoint, you may need a
> different access level. You can learn more here:
> https://developer.twitter.com/en/portal/product
> ```

My impression from posts in other context is that bot posting requires a
paid subscription, and that paid API access cannot be had for a charge
that is reasonable for an individual.  A number of bots that I am aware
of have either moved to mastodon or just stopped.  So do not adjust your
television; the problem is elsewhere.

> I suppose the idea is to move to Mastodon
> with https://github.com/glennmckechnie/weewx-mastodon ?

Generally, yes, the path to righteousness is via federated open
protocols, and I see no reason that would be different in posting
weather.  But seriously, that is what people are generally doing (in a
broader than weewx context).

Strictly, you don't need mastodon, but ActivityPub, but if the server
you want to use is mastodon you don't have to figure out that nuance.