I am using the Mastodon extension for
Weewx. https://github.com/glennmckechnie/weewx-mastodon.
I believe my question is however not strictly related to this extension,
see below.

It is possible to format the message which is tooted regularly and supply a
specific format.
One of the default formats is:

```
format = '{station:%s} ' \
         '\n Windspeed: {windSpeed:%.1f} ' \
         '\n Winddir: {windDir:%03.0f} ' \
         '\n Windgust: {windGust:%.1f} ' \
         '\n outTemp: {outTemp:%.1f} ' \
         '\n outHumidity: {outHumidity:%.2f} ' \
         '\n Pressure: {barometer:%.3f} ' \
         '\n Rain: {rain:%.3f} ' \
         '\n Date Time: {dateTime:%d %b %Y %H:%M}'
```

The value of the rain does not work well for me, because, to my
understanding, it's the current rain, and I seldom have rain, so I rather
want to have at least the daily sum of rain. I thought I could perhaps
change the format to {day.rain.sum:%.3f}, but it is not understood...

So, how can I get this daily sum?

The code imports the following modules.

```python
import weewx