Thanks, Jon! I changed the directory in the weewx.conf file to point to the
external drive's symbolic link rather than /var/lib/weewx. The result was a
critical error:

CRITICAL __main__: Database OperationalError exception: unable to open
database file

So it seems it is a permissions issue as you suggest. I will focus on that
next - much appreciated!