This I understand, Jacques -

What is "direct solar irradiance"? Is there someone at the sensor deciding
that it's direct? That they confirm that a solar disk is visible? That,
given a decent scope, that sun spots are resolvable? Nah, I don't think so.

They're PYROheliometers, measuring heat energy. Again, that becomes an
arbitrary value of what is "sunshine". This is an artifice, and does not
measure "sunshine" in the manner that Karen describes. It does not measure
shadow, or even quality of shadow. It does not suit my local needs for
"sunshine", as I've already said that on a OVC day here in KPHX it's still
above 200 w/m^2. It's just a measure of "whether or not my location has
received xx% of the theoretical insolation available". That's a poor
estimate of "sunshine". We need an umbrameter. I submit that that is a
quasi-2d sensor that measures the "quality" of an umbra cast by a sphere
onto a concave spherical surface opposite to the sky, is better than what
we have now. Or, using the idea of an "extended point source", it stares
relentlessly into the sky and adjudicates the quality of the visible disk
of the sun. Either of those is far superior to the "sunshine" concept.

I grew up in Los Angeles CA, when it was leaving the worst of its smoggy
phase. There were so many days described as "hazy", "very hazy", "mostly
sunny", or "sunny". I live in Phoenix AZ now, where there isn't as strong
as an inversion layer or effect. Little moisture in the atmosphere, either.
My personal rule's not perfect, but I recognize a sunny day as a day where
the sky is a certain shade of blue. All empirical. I've been in Paris,
Rome, Madrid, London, Brussels, Oslo, Hong Kong, Beijing, Seoul, Tokyo,
Sydney etc., where "yeah, it's kinda sunny (i.e., not obvious clouds
between me and the sun), but it's more diffuse than it is direct. I choose
not to call those "sunny days".

OMG - too many "". YMMV %^)

Cheers - Jon N7UV