Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the confusing question which is probably
because I'm confused about why things aren't working.
To narrow this down, I have a Geiger counter sending data to weewx which is
being stored in weewx.sdb under signal1 and signal2. This seems to be
working.
I have added the following to weewx.conf (Standard skin) under units,
groups and  string format (see original message above).

signal1 = cpm  group_cpm  = cpm   cpm = %.0f
signal2 =  µSv  group_severt = µSv   µSv  = %.2f

I have this in my weewx.conf for 4.10.2 where it's working but does not
work in 5.1 when pasted into weewx.conf. In 4.10.2, I have not used any
extra code for an extension. I'm not sure of how to format something like
'geiger.py' for weewx 5.1 but maybe that is what I need to do. Vince
pointed me to a cheetah-generator formatting section which I had not seen
before so maybe I could use something like this in my index.html.tmpl (?).

I have restored the original units.py. That modification was just an
uneducated guess on my part.

What I have in 5.1 is working. It would just look better if it displayed
the units and format better.

CO2 level                        458 ppm at 11:00   [this one works
correctly]
Radiation Count Level  16.857143 at 11:15
Radiation Dose              0.095714 at 11:15

Thanks for your help.
Cheers,
Bob