Arne Caspari wrote:
Vadim Lebedev wrote:

Hi Arne,

Thanks a lot for your input,

Do you think it will be diffucult to port unicap to Wndows to develeop VfW and DirectShow backends?

There is one issue that I forgot with a DirectShow plugin:

Since you would need to link the plugin with a closed source library ( DirectShow ), you can not distribute it ( at least not in binary ) since unicap is GPLed. ( Just like openwengo ).

AFAIK this is not a problem. If you link against GPL, your code also must be GPL. But you GPL application is allowed to link against other licensed libraries. Lots of Linux libraries are not GPL and will be used by GPL applications. There is lots of discussion on this topic. If I remember correct, then linkning against not GPL libraries is fine if they belong to the OS (e.g. there is lots of discussion of using openSSL in GPL application).

regards
klaus

In this case I would need to make a license addition ( or rather exception ) to explicitly allow the linkage of this plugin. If I make this exception ( and I see no point why not to make such an exception ), you ( or the openwengo team ) would also need to make such an exception to your licensing terms, otherwise distributions would not be legally allowed to ship openwengo in binary ( at least the windows build would then have questionable licensing conditions ). The complicated thing is that I think every code contributor needs to accept these modified license terms.

Since you have a windows build and use ( I guess ) DirectShow, you should already be in such a licensing situation. How is it handled by the current openwengo license?

Boy, I hate licensing issues :-(

 /Arne