Oh yeah - this will utterly fix the issues that we've always had with water battles. That's one place where the current wesnoth system is broken.

We need something to make water units good at defending, but only good at defending from land units, not water units. If it's a water- water fight, then it should be like grassland combat.

This will provide that, through a simple filter depending on what terrain the victim is in. Ex: for mermen, any unit in water would be given a 50% or better chance to hit - like the rest of the system, this is flexible, and the amount of bonus can be changed per unit. Consistency is achieved through macros. This part will really only be used on water units, or possibly on strange units like dryads and woses.