Asa Swain wrote:

>I think that there's a real danger of displaying too
>much information.

Yes. As you can see by the number of versions I made, the dialog layout has been discussed and changed a lot. Basically some people want to see some information
while others want to keep things very simple.

>Since no ability changes the chance
>of being hit, and since this is the damage calculation
>window, I don't think we need to display the chance of
>being hit percentage. It was already displayed in the
>previous window.

True. But Yogin and I felt it was clearer to redisplay this information in case the user forgot (otherwise the user has to close and re-open the window to get
all the statistics.

>Display the various modifiers, replace "Summary" with
>"Total Damage" and the X-X result, and then just have
>the bar graph below that. You don't need "chance of
>being unscathed" percentage becuase that's what the
>top green bar displays.

It seems everyone but me hate the unscathed percentage :/ I've included it
because it's possible that the green bar isn't shown when there more than 10
possible outcomes. Also, when drain is used, there are several green bars (and
the lowest one is *not* necessarily the unscatched percentage). Personally I
always want to see that value when I attack a unit.

>Also the Summary/Total Damage lines should be at the
>same vertical placement in the window, so they are
>easier to compare to each other.

That makes sense.

>Why are some of the modifiers being listed as +25% and
>others as *0.9? Can't they all be listed as
>percentages? I understand what "times 0.9" means, but
>can't it be listed as -10% and thus keep the
>formatting consistant? The modifiers should all be
>listed in one format so the player can compare various
>modifiers more easily.

That's because some modifiers are additive and some modifiers are
multiplicative. For instance, if the base damage is 10, if there is a +25% ToD bonus and a -20% resistance penalty, and if the charge and backstab specials are
used, then the effective damage is

10 * (1.0 + 0.25 - 0.20) * 2 * 2

Thanks for your input,
Laurent Birtz