Hi all,

there seems to be some irritation about the python version that is shipped
within the windows package. Here are some facts:

1.

Python 2.3 is completely open source without any restrictions.

Python 2.4 / 2.5 is compiled with a microsoft runtime dll that needs to be
redistributed. Redistribution requires a legal installation of Visual
Studio.Net 2003.

2.

The legal issues about distributing msvcp71.dll are unclear and no one has
truly elaborated on the problem yet. Even lawyers seem to be unsure about
the critical issues. However it is commonly agreed that it is very unlikely
that microsoft will take action because of license issues here. See these
links for further information:

Since nobody knows so far I walked the path of no risk and sticked to python
2.3. However, for myself there is no problem at all since I own a legal copy
of Visual Studio.Net 2003. So for me, redistribution is not a problem at
all. I can’t speak of anyone else that might be using python, though.

So if we come to an agreement that the windows package should be shipped
with a more up-to-date python DLL, just tell me and it will be done. But I
want it to be a matter of widespread agreement before I do that. I never
used python and I don’t know which version is most appropriate. If we come
to a conclusion here just let me know and I will make it happen.

Sorry for all the inconvenience so far.

Greetings

Yogi