well, if I understand correctly, your tool can update the terrain WML...
can it be generalized to any WML ? (specifically I am thinking of unit WML)

can the upgrade logic be separated from the upgrade engine (to have
the main upconvert tool, plus a dozen separate file describing how to
upgrade from verion X to version X+1, ideally allowing us not to touch
upconvert when new version are released, but only a separate
description file)

more intersting to do (but harder) would be a tool to analyze
stats.wesnoth.org and raise an alert if a parameter for a given
campaign has drastically changed (sudently everybody stops at lvl4,
the number of lvl2 units at end of lvl2 has multiplied by 3 between
two releases, stuff like that)

right now stats.wesnoth.org is a great tool, but the SVG is too
complicated and long to load, making it mostly unusable...