OK, there's really 2 parts to this suggestion:
1) mainline Wesnoth should have clearer content "ratings"
2) mainline Wesnoth should contain "more mature" content than
 it has in the past.

I don't have a problem with #1.

I am against #2. I'm proud of the fact that i can recommend
Wesnoth as a non-brain-rotting alternative to for any child old enough
to comprehend it, (almost) no matter what the standards of the parents.

>From a perpetuation-of-Wesnoth standpoint, i suppose that while very
young players don't add much to the community now, if Wesnoth was one
of their first "real" games, they are more likely to care about Wesnoth
when
they have matured enough to contribute.

I'm not deeply familiar with ESRB ratings, but it seems that E+10 most
accurately describes Wesnoth up to the re-inclusion of SotBE.

E10+ — Everyone 10+: Contains content that may be suitable for
 ages 10 and older. Titles in this category may contain more cartoon,
fantasy or mild violence, mild language, minimal and/or infrequent
blood and/or minimal suggestive themes.

Why should we change the de-facto "rating" of Wesnoth to accommodate
the addition of terms like "tree-shagger"?  That would be a case of the
tail wagging the dog.

I understand that many kinds of stories can't really be told at a E10+
level, but does mainline Wesnoth really need those stories? I place more
value on presenting Wesnoth to a broader, younger audience.

- eleazar / j.w.bjerk

On May 20, 2007, at 3:01 AM, Richard Kettering wrote:

I second this suggestion - it allows sufficient freedom to express
meaningful content, since anything that would push us into an R
rating would be very awkward to try and express within wesnoth.

Furthermore, it offers an extremely large body of work to act as a
"legal precedent," per se - we can look at general examples of things
in movies to judge whether something is appropriate/inappropriate.
Obviously, there have been gross inconsistencies in how the MPAA has
applied their ratings, but they've done a reasonably good job, as
well as any human beings could be expected to.

That is to say, it greatly clarifies what is/isn't appropriate, so
that we'd be less likely to repeat this inane discussion (is this the
third time this has rolled around? Fourth? Thirtieth?).

So the policy guideline I suggest is: BfW contentent must be
compatible
with a an MPAA PG-13 or ESRB "T" rating.