There are a number of things I like about the change to "Arcane", and
few things I don't like.  I do miss having a damage type named holy,
but by and large I think we've otherwise had huge improvements
through the new setup.

I thought it was a great benefit to finally get a "generic magic"
attack, because in many instances, elemental connotations being
slapped onto different types of magic were unfounded.  The biggest
problem was an association of "cold" with "evil magic" in the game;
cold might seem like the temperature of death to those from european
backgrounds, but to someone from an equatorial background; to a man
from the desert, I could easily see the parching, desiccating heat as
the most prominent symbol of death.  What we needed was something to
represent "magic meant to hurt" in its pure form; like the "Evil
Eye", it is something which has no physical corollary - that's what
makes it "magic".  It's not something dying from burns, or from
frostbite - it's something dying from a curse _alone_.  That's what
makes it magic, and not a cheap substitute for technology - IMHO, the
most truly "magical" fantasy works are those which do what could
never (by our current conjecture) be possible for technology.  To use
LotR as an example; the one ring had one cheap property,
invisibility, which we'll eventually be able to mimic.  But its
other, and much more subtle properties - the great command it could
forcibly exact over fate itself, the real reason it was called the
ring of Power, are what made the story so profound, what made it into
something other than an odd form of gadget porn.

I thought it was good to finally get a "pure magic" attack type of
some kind.  There were a lot of ways this could have fallen out - in
one, it could have been a faerie-like magic that the more magical
units (elves, drakes, trolls) were more resistant to, and the more
mundane units (humans, etc) were weak to.  There were others, but
frankly, I was pretty happy to have seen any change, because the old
balance was quite broken, quite volatile, and also quite boring. I do
think the same attack damage being used for holy attacks works well
to dispel magical things - as boucman pointed out, religion, in
medieval times, was practically the only defense people thought they
had against a demon-haunted world.  I think there's a downside, in
that any discerning heavenly force wouldn't be willing to smite good
things at all, but we've always had that problem.

What I think is broken in the current setup is:
- Ghosts, especially the high levels, are too powerful against undead
and drakes.  Wraiths are unstoppable, especially because they regain
sizable amounts of health when their damage is boosted, because
they're quite mobile and hard to hit, and because they even have a
ranged attack that the drakes are quite weak to, which makes it
difficult to use the only weapon the drakes have against them, fire,
to significant effect.  They also have the opposite alignment of
drakes, are mobile enough to make it matter, and also are very
resistant to all saurians' attacks.
- White Mages are playably balanced, but are too fragile; this is a
holdover from the days when they needed to be unusually fragile so
that the undead had any hope of stopping them.  I suggest a sizable
increase in HP, with other nerfs (probably to damage) to keep things
even.
- Dark Adepts, and even liches, are still largely powerless against
undead - this has never made sense, because they're supposed to be
the masters of them.  You'd think someone with an intimate knowledge
of how to create said unlife would be equally apt at turning or
destroying it.  (on that note - a "turn" ability for undead magi to
seize control of opponent's undead units would be very interesting).
- The "drakes vs. undead" vulnerability circle is still there, and
this hinges largely on the presence of cold as the dark adept's
attack.  Combat between these two is still too volatile, mostly from
the undead side.

Volatile = high damage and/or fragile units, higher-than-normal
importance of luck.  Frustration, lack of fun, lower importance of
skill due to a lower ratio of player-input versus game events.
Volatility is bad, which is of course why we made the holy -> arcane
switch in the first place, because the holy vs. undead matchup was so
unpleasantly volatile.