I'll just reply about the boost part...

yes it was discussed, and the idea of adding BOOST was accepted on principle

the problem that made us accept boost at the time was solved differently and
thus, boost was never added.

so yes, let's add boost, let's convert as much usage as possible to using
boost.

the only "trick" is to give all packagers early warnings to iron out all OS
specific bugs as early as possible to avoid having disgruntled users.

my personal advice would be to not announce the first boost release before
both mac and win binaries are available. The last time we had a lib it took
a couple of weeks before all major os were able to package it. Let's try to
avoid our previous mistakes...