Bruno Wolff III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> I think the question is do we want to be storing meta data about save games
> in the save games' path names? We might want to do this to help humans choose
> the right save game. But I expect that instances of people meddling with save
> game files using OS commands is going to be rare.

I think so too.

>                                            We might also do it to make
> having data available to Wesnoth more efficiently (without having to open and
> parse save game files).

I'm not worried about that.  The place the IDs will be used is in the Load Game
dialogue, and at that point we've already called get_saves_list() and read in
some per-game metadata wven under the current organization.

> For the unique ids, why not using cryptographic hashes? Save files
> don't change (at least not when accessed through Wesnoth) and if two
> identical save files have the same id, we aren't going to care if
> they were created independently.

We don't care *now*.  But if invoking a GUID library is cheap, let's just
do that; I have a strong feeling global uniqueness will be useful someday.