all this sounds good to me, I just want to point out two details in your
design

[EMAIL PROTECTED] is a very bad way of having unique ids under unix system ...
first because some distro keep the default hostnames on all system and
allmachines are not full time on the net => no domain names

OTOH we already have a unique "installation ID" in wesnoth, which is
independant of the OS: the id used to  upload to stats.wesnoth.org

I think basing an id on that would be better