Hi everybody!
Currently it looks like trunk is about as stable as it can get. There is some
more time left, basically for translators and artists to complete some stuff. I
want to announce that I want to see svn froozen for the time that I do work on
creating the package and testing it. So that there is only exactly one extra
revision needed to fix any bugs that occur in my testing. My current plans are
(and I am sure to be able to follow these):

* Start packaging and testing on Sunday, 2nd March at 2pm (gmt+1)

So the deadline for commits is ~1pm at that day. The freeze will probably last
till about 8pm (gmt+1). In this timeframe there should be *no* commits, they
will not go into the tarball anyway and might just create problems if smaller
stuff occurs. The freeze will basically last until I declare 1.4 tagged (that is
until you see the commit message for tags/1.4. As requested by esr I will then
leave 1.4 still as trunk for some more hours (maybe three or four hours) for
fixes that are small and have to get into both (stringfixes, tiny bugs,
whatever).

So to sum things up in short:

* deadline for 1.4.0 commits: Sunday, 2nd March, 1pm (gmt+1)
* trunk frozen + start of release stuff: Sunday, 2nd March, 2pm (gmt+1)
* trunk free for 1.4+1.5 commits (not branched off yet): Sunday, 2nd March, 8pm
(gmt+1)
* branching off 1.4 to branches/1.4, trunk free for 1.5.0-svn commits: Sunday,
2nd March, 11pm

Regarding what should be commited to 1.4 after 1.4 is tagged:
Please do not commit any new feature stuff in there. 1.4 is meant to be bugfix
and translation updates only. Yes, some new graphics are fine, but rewrites of
scenarios, adding features, changing maps, adding music and such should *not*
happen. The reason for this is that when eg adding one new piece of music in the
music playlist all the games on the mp server will show as "remote scenarios"
(can currently be observed with 1.3.19+svn on the official server). In general I
would like to see the size of the package not change too much, that is it will
increase due to translation updates, but that will basically be it.
I think such a policy is rather sensible and a good compromise.

Regarding the first post 1.4 dev release:

I plan to at least wait 6 weeks with this. That is to give you some time to add
all your new and shining features in there, which are likely to break things. I
know that 1.5.0 will probably be rather broken due to the new stuff...

Cheers,
Nils Kneuper aka Ivanovic

PS: If you need any changes to these plans, if there are none, I will procede
with those plans. I will give status updates on IRC for the 1.4 release steps.