On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 08:27:12 +0100,
  Martin Renold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 08:43:23AM -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 14:46:35 -0500,
> >   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > In my view, creating a room system is absolutely necessary, because of
> > > this very problem.
> >
> > What about having a view system instead of actual rooms. So that each player
> > can see their own view of the chat room. Players could tag themselves
> > with properties such as languages, favorite race, [...]
>
> It's really frustrating if respond to someone who has just spoken but he
> can't hear you because he got a different view ;-)

I think there are issues to be worked out, but it does keep everyone in one
place.
Probably you would want messages visibly tagged if written by someone who
won't see your replies by default and also allow you to force a reply (unless
the other person has you blacklisted - in which case you probably shouldn't
be sent the message in the first place) and get added to their list for
the duration of the session.
It might also be useful to have a way to merge several people's lists for
the duration of a session.