On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 09:06:48AM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> I think we should shorten our stable-release interval to 6 months.

Personally I think the current cycle of about one year is rather nice. A
release costs quite some resources for final polishing. Which means the
effective time for developing new features will be reduced.

> (In retrospect, I think it was in
> a stagnant period when I joined -- and I think the commit-frequency
> graphs on Ohloh confirm this.)

I think the available time for most developers fluctuates quite a lot,
at least it does for me.

> Late last year I lost some initial members of my UI test group simply
> because 1.4 was too far in the future to sustain their interest --
> they weren't going to get to see the fruits of their labor soon
> enough, lost motivation, and drifted away.  (This is what specifically
> started me thinking our release interval is a problem.)

I see that as a problem, but I fear that we get the opposite with short
cycles. Devs losing interest since there's not enough time to implement
features and they spend too much time polishing for a release. I *do*
like new releases and also to polish them, but I like coding new
features much more.

> 2 July -> 2 Aug: Feature freeze, bug stomping, translations
>
> 2 Aug:  1.6 release

If we get accepted for SoC this is impossible since the end date for SoC
is the 18th of Augustus. Personally I think this might be a nice point
to do a bug stomp party.

> I think 1.6 will actually be in a better state if we shorten the cycle
> and stick to less ambitious feature goals in 1.5.  (This doesn't mean any
> of them would need to be abandoned, just postponed to 1.7.)

I *do* look forward to work on some of the ambitious features I have
planned. I'm already did some things for them so I really want to work
on them.

> Finally, I think our long release interval has been meshing badly with the
> timing of Linux distribution releases.  While I consider this a minor point
> relative to my previous ones, I think it is not insignificant.

I'm not following the release schedules of distros but I think it's
impossible, regardless of the cycle length, to 'get it right' for all
distros. It might even cause some slower distros to be a full cycle behind.

Regards,
Mark de Wever aka Mordante/SkeletonCrew