Perhaps I'm over optimistic naturally, but personally I think that
getting to a release cycle of around six months would be really very
nice.

Twelve months is a long time. For instance, 1.2 is now ancient history.
Many of our developers encourage people to play development releases
instead of 1.2. Feedback from users based on 1.2 is now of little value.

I also do think the length of time to get a feature used by a broad base
of users is frustrating, and leads to a longer 'feedback loop' which
reduces overall productivity.

Additionally, I think a long cycle has a psychological effect of causing
people to think "it doesn't matter if I break things really badly now
with this new feature...the next stable release is ten months away!" I
don't think this attitude is healthy; we should strive to keep every
development release as stable as possible.

If you can't develop a releasable step of a feature in a three month
period, then your feature is probably too complicated.

Personally I'm in favor of this. I think it'd be a win for both
developers and users. We should cut down on "time to stabilize" for a
release by always working hard to never allow things to become too
unstable in the first place.

David