Welcome Nicolas,

Firstly I'd like to say that I think Eric's advice is excellent.

Becoming a contributor to an already running, in motion open source
project is actually a lot of work, and has a high failure rate, even
for an experienced programmer. It takes a decent amount of time and
effort to get 'up to speed'.

I would recommend following Eric's advice and looking at the
'EasyCoding' page. Also, hang out on #wesnoth-dev on irc.freenode.net.
People come up with little requests for things to be done all the
time. Look for something someone wants, try and see if you can
implement it, submit a patch. Do this a few times, and in no time at
all, hopefully you'll be a valued part of the community!

If you've got experience on embedded devices, we'd love for someone to
investigate the feasibility of porting Wesnoth to the iPhone/iPod
Touch. But that could probably wait until you're more familiar with
the code.

A developer who can work on both clients and servers effectively is
also something very valuable for us. For instance, there are a number
of improvements to both the multiplayer server and the add-on server
that we'd love to have. Once again, #wesnoth-dev is probably the best
place to come to discuss.

....and of course there are many, many other areas for improvement
that we'd love to have contributions in. :)

David