On Sunday 22 February 2009, Sergey Popov wrote:
> На Sun, 22 Feb 2009 22:52:55 +0100
>
> Alexander Neundorf <neund...@kde.org> wrote:
> > Thanks for your contructive attitude.
> > What is wrong with using a DSL for a very specific purpose ?
>
> I don't think that cmake's language is a DSL, at least compared to make.
> It's just yet another scripting language, and time used for maintaining
>  it could be better spent elsewhere.
> Besides, using an existing general purpose language would allow people
> using the buildsystem to reuse their existing knowledge, not learn new
> language constructs, but only new API.

Ok, this can be discussed without end.
Just my opinion from maintaining the buildsystem for KDE, which builds
millions of LOC in C++, including code generators and other stuff, developed
by hundreds of developers, natively on Windows with MSVC, on Apple, and on
Linux, Solaris, *BSD:
It is a feature that cmake is no general purpose language. This discourages
people from turning the build scripts into real programs.
This can happen if you have full <chose_your_scripting_language> available,
it's what I saw when we tried to use it in KDE and what I heard from others.

Alex