On 04/25/2010 02:58 PM, jeremy rosen wrote:
> I have trouble understanding the difference between "core" and "conversion"
>
> is this to reflect some internal thing ?
>
> could you please detail a bit more what you mean by mod ? in what way
> is it different from the usual UMC we already have ?
>

> overall, I like the idea, it's time for wesnoth to break new ground...
> and doing it while not touching our core game is a great way of doing
> it...

A conversion provides a core. So it is basically a cfg files that includes
a tag like zookeeper suggested:

[conversion]
       name=
       id=
       path=
       icon=
       desctiption=
  [/conversion]

And a directory structure that has the actual information in it.

The path attributes points to the _main.cfg that loads the core.
It works like the current one for the default core located in
data/_main.cfg.

The game normally only loads the file with the [conversion] tag, the
rest is only
loaded instead of the default core when the conversion is selected.

Let's have a look at the addons.
We have campaigns. Those are handled by the define include system.
When you start Wesnoth all campaigns _main.cfg files are parsed and the
engine knows
about the installed campaigns not loading their data files since they
are guarded by a #ifdef.
If you select a campaign the core and addons are parsed again with the
define set.

We have eras. Those are parsed only when the multiplayer define is set,
so you can't influence
anything outside multiplayer and you are bound to choosing the era in
question.

You can also just load any code by an addon, since it is basically just
a _main.cfg that is read in
but providing the ascension extra units for example would enable them
for all times.
The only way to play wesnoth normal again is to remove the ascension addon.

About the mods.
Well, firstly a mod is bound to a core. A mod that makes Spacenoth
deterministic for example
makes no sense to be loaded together with the default core.
And those mods are also guarded by the same include system the campaigns
provide.
You can easily select the mods you want to play with.

I also see the need to separate savegames from the different core/mod
combinations from each other.