On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 02:31:28PM +0200, Fabian Mueller wrote:
> This is about a patch I am writing,
> the prototype phase is over jumping into the final implementation.
>
> http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=29670
> https://gna.org/bugs/?8832
>
> Since I want to contribute the patch into mainline I would like to hear
> your opinions and thoughts on the specification.
>
> Let's define some vocabularies to make the talking easier.
>
> Core -- A core is the base of Wesnoth's wml datatree.
>          Currently that is all the files in datadir/data.
>          There is only one Core loaded at the same time.
>
> Default Core -- Current Wesnoth
>
> Conversion -- A conversion provides another core.
>
> mod -- A mod provides extra code for a specific core.
>         You can only load mods if the target core is loaded.

In which way differs a mod from a normal addon? And I'm also not sure,
but I think that what games call a mod is what you call a conversion.
(Not entirely sure so correct me if I'm wrong.)

> Conversions and mods can be downloaded from the addon server like
> normal. Another gui dialog similar to the campaign selector will let
> the player switch to another core, making it also the default for the
> next start of Wesnoth.

Sounds good.

> A second dialog will provide all mods matching the current core and
> let the player select a subset of them.

Not entirely sure what you mean with this sentence.

> Any thoughts?

One of the ideas behind gui2 was move the hardcoded gui stuff to config
files, was when somebody wanted to make a conversion (to use your term)
they can also change the look of the gui without having to work on the
source code. Spacenoth could then use a more modern look instead of our
fantasy look.
So yes I really like the idea that it will be easier to make conversions
of Wesnoth. Of course such a task is a huge undertaking but it allows
non-coders to completely change Wesnoth into something else.

--
Regards,
Mark de Wever aka Mordante/SkeletonCrew