I don't see how any time has been wasted. The repo has been switched to git
already. Wouldn't all that need to be done is upload to GitHub (and with
esr's connection, that shouldn't take long at all), then have the people
with clones switch their remotes as Derek said.

IMHO, it'd be better to spend a little more time moving to a platform more
preferred than than continuing to work with one less so, but that's just me.