> Since they didn't close the door outright, maybe you should tell them: ok,
> even after removing the large music files from our repo we're still at 1.x
> GB. Do you still want us?

Yes, I concur. They didn't close the door at all, really. They simply said
they'd appreciate it if we were "close to a 1GB 'rule of thumb'".

I think that it'd be nice to reply to them and say "we're not going to be
able to get the repository below 1GB. We are one of the largest open source
games (some stats to back that up). However we are considering which
repository host to use and we are concerned about whether github is right
for us. Given that our repository size is xxx GB and we'd ultimately have
to choose a different hosting provider rather than reduce that size, will
our project be welcome on github?"