"Everything is buggy in the whiteboard and in my experience players (at
least in the MP community) realize that and learned to live along with it."

At least in 1.10, many parts were buggy, but if you only used it to plan
moves it worked great, and was helpful to plan with your ally. But even
that part is broken now.

By all means, play around with it and see what you think, maybe you think
it's still useful and not an eyesore. My opinion is that there is a severe
regression from 1.10. It's just a question what our standards are.

"On the other hand, it could make it even less likely that someone will
ever start fixing these bugs."

Master is a separate issue, we could consider it a question mark in that
context. But on 1.12 branch I'm really not sure who this hypothetical
person is that is going to fix it at the last possible minute.