Hi List,

techtonik recently made a pull request to address some issues when
cross-compiling wesnoth, based on distinctions between libintl / boost
locale. He pointed out that the instructions in INSTALL are confusing, this
stemming from the compatibility path which was created for 1.12 to avoid
making boost filesystem and locale a hard dependency. (Which are mandatory?
Which are optional? So to avoid using boost locale, I set "boostfilesystem"
to false?) [1]

As far as I know we don't plan to make any 1.14 releases without boost
filesystem. However it's been suggested [2] that we might support libintl
indefinitely.

Proposal:
- Merge techtonik's patch [1] (this will likely happen independently of my
patch)
- Merge my patch [3] which makes boost filesystem mandatory (with scons),
and replaces the "boostfilesystem" option with a "libintl" option. It is an
error to use libintl when compiling for windows.
- Change INSTALL notes to reflect this.

Please write back if you don't want boost filesystem to be a hard
dependency on master. I'm not proposing to delete "filesystem.cpp" yet, as
afaik the Xcode project file still uses this, but we do know that the boost
filesystem, boost locale option does work with scons on OS X when using the
homebrew provided dependencies (ancestral has tested this several times in
the past).

Best Regards,
Chris Beck

[1] https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/pull/347