West Nile to increase agriculture productivity
Jude Lugya
The low food productivity that has caused famine in some parts of northern and
eastern Uganda and claimed lives has been blamed on factors ranging from
climate change and reluctance to work among others.

What is missing from many commentaries by development experts, policy makers
and analysts is the fact that the absence of extension agricultural workers in
rural areas has tremendously contributed to food insecurity. To reduce the
problem in Yumbe and Moyo districts, selected farmers have been mobilised and
trained to become village extension workers under the community owned resource
persons strategy (Corps).

Abdullah Ashraf, a farmer of Mifieko, Aliba Bito Sub county, is a local
agriculture extension worker who attained the knowledge after being trained
under the Corps strategy. “I have several acres of cassava which I inter-plant
with other crops after learning modern agriculture practices,” Ashraf says.

Ashraf is satisfied that his trainee like Ms Nura Aliya, who is in her late
60’s has learnt similar tactics that have enabled her become a progressive
farmer in the area.

Ms Aliya is waiting for a few months to start selling cassava which cover close
to two acres of land. Under the programme, farmers are involved in monitoring
growth of seedlings and collecting data from sowing, transplanting to
harvesting  based on certain parameters including number of leaves, colour of
leaves, crop vigour, number of dead seedlings, incidence of pests and disease
attack and crop yield for each treatment.

“It is a sustainability strategy which we have employed to empower farmers to
be in charge of their development issues like managing food security and
resources, Ms Harriet Drani, Environmental Alert’s programme officer in charge
of food security says.

She says this is a participatory strategy where community members who have the
willingness to learn and share knowledge about agriculture and natural resource
management are nominated by their community for training.

In Moyo, training started this year while in Yumbe, it kicked off last year. So
far, there are 75 corps (village extension officers or advisors) in Mifiako,
Obugo, Aliodraanyosi, Wakati, Baoabasi and Omveru.

According to Ms Drani, the corps are categorised into agricultural advisors and
advocacy corps. Those under advocacy lead people in their respective village
issues of engaging leaders and lobbying for various causes. She says such an
opportunity for interaction across different groups increases the level of
confidence in expression, especially of women to be able to uncover their
potential to effectively transfer knowledge and skills to others.

The corps have been fundamental in redress of problems like pests and crop
disease outbreaks, helping farmers methods of using natural pesticides and
organic manure and how to manage soil erosion.

Ms Drani says the extension workers under the Corps strategy easily track
agricultural information on who is practicing what and where as well as the
replication of best farming practices.

“It is an opportunity for farmers to share a range of experiences from
different groups for further learning and problem solving in
agriculture-related activities,” Ms Drani says.

Ms Drani says the corps outreach aimed at 1,500 beneficiaries but because of
the multiplier effect, the number of beneficiaries has almost doubled.
forwarded to the westnilenet members. by a member. majid alemi junior. in bc.
Most Popular
 Mrs Akankwasa is no thief. Hubby owes her Sh410m!
 NRM set to force through Land Bill
 Did Obama snub Museveni?
 NRM set to force through Land Bill
 Failed to get pregnant again. Is there any problem with me?
  More Stories
Comment on this article

Ground rules for posting comments:
1. No personal attacks.
2. No vulgar or discriminatory language.
3. If you do not follow these rules, we will remove your comment.

Comments:

*Name:
Email:
 Notify me about new comments on this page
Hide my email

*Text:
Security Image: Security Image Text:

Post your comments:

Name

E-mail (Will not appear online)

Comment

Please enter the text you see in the image CORRECTLY. Also, ensure that your
browser supports and accepts cookies, or your comment cannot be verified.

Note: your post will not be visible until approved by the Editor.