Dear all,

I am writing because I feel i have to write:Why WNF  cannot steer into the
development of West Nile Region. In part A, I will limit my self to  example of
Bushenyi( whose politics i have ardently been following for the last 15 years!)
and will share it for the purposes of our reflection.

i) academic excellence: In this years' PLE results, Arua district had 87 first
graders while Bushenyi 573.Condering it is now being split into 5 districts, it
means each sub county had 114 first graders-far better than Arua
District!...(somebody can crosscheck my statistics and also update us on O' and
A'level as well!);

ii) As an Engineer in Mbale in 2002 then, I happenned to have been on the
Bushenyi District Local Government assesment team(peer review). On going
through the LCV council minutes, we found out that 98% of the agenda was on
development issues(driect poverty alleviation!). The team noted that most of
the districts in Uganda then were bickering alot over petty issues and to date
some still are e.g the Maracha-Terego circus.

iii) In 2002, the dialy economy of Bushenyi District was about 2.3 billion
shillings per day ( perhaps a WNF member can crosscheck the current status in
relation to Arua District and all W/Nile districts and file us in!).The biggest
source of revenue are matoke and milk;

iv) The Bushenyi District Local Government  and District Dairy Corperative
union actually bougth Uganda Dairy Corperation before sameer group( and there
is actually a partnership between them-I think??)

v) Almost all cattle keeping families have crossed(improved) breeds of
    goats,cowsand therefore have daily income for extra value addition!

vi) Ask Bushenyian( and some of us), their development has had nothing to do
with MUSEVENI being in power( For Mbarara yes...). They only thank him for
providing access to markets..that is all! Way back in 1920's-50's that has been
the status quo through their developmental chief;

vii) Bushenyians are shrewd and are hard working(more than Bakiga women!).
During Obote II Government,five(5) cabinet Ministers came from there(including
the speaker of Parliament) and 5 Ambassadors!

In conclusion, it is ONLY when we re-align ourselves with Government/Donor
priorties and network at community level, that we could make some in roads.
Perhaps our focus should be on seeking to strengthen such systems or even put
parrallel in place-BUT with clearly spelt out issues,programmes and achievable
targets. We could then seek to utilize our many PhD holders from the region as
consultants in our local issues.  I am convinced the strategy and focus of WNF
needs re-defining, even though i have never seen a copy of it.

Management of resources
Best

Emmanuel Longo