I am not an OB of Ombaci, but have keenly been following the discussion
about the issues Mr. Banduga Ismail has brought to the attention of all
Ombaci OB's on this forum. The issue of deteriorating educational standards
of the our kids is really a very serious problem which if not tackled will
have a generational effect on the future generation.

Much as the issues Ismail addresses were mostly related to the
administration of Ombaci Secondary school, I think they are a general
problem in most schools (I mean the declining level of educational
standards). I would concur with Mr. Lulua's submission that perhaps the
declining standards of students performances in Ombaci may not only be
attributed to poor administration alone, but a number of other factors as
well. I do not know what the performance of other schools which used to be
the cream those years, the likes of Nyapea, Koboko, Mvara, Kabalega,
Nyakasura, Teso College (where I was), Lango College, Sam Baker, Tororo
Girls, Mwiri, etc, but what I guess is that these schools are not any far
from Ombaci at this present time. I would base my argument on the products
some of these schools have sent to Makerere, including the likes of Budo,
Gayaza, Kisubi, and some of the new schools from which most of the Makerere
admissions are composed of. I had the opportunity of interacting with some
of  these Makerere students and I think they were not any far from the
products from those students from West Nile.
I think the gist of low standards in secondary schools is the very poor
elementary or primary school standards. I think though the UPE was a
brilliant idea, its implementation has been a total failure. Secondary
schools can only inherit the poor students they absorb from primary
schools. You can not expect to get better students in secondary schools
when they were infact poor students in primary schools. Look at the quality
of teachers at the primary schools. Most of the people who go to teachers
college these days are students who have failed in their O levels. How can
you expect such people to turn to be good teachers and bring out bright
students. In our years students who went to teachers college were bright
students whose parents could not afford to pay their school fees in
secondary schools and these people after their training came back and
became great primary school teachers.
The situation of teachers is another factor to consider. Realistically with
the current economic woes how can you expect teachers to be motivated in
their occupations when what they make cannot even push them for a week as
many also have families to care about.
The infrastructure in schools such teachers accommodation, scholastic
materials, classrooms, etc are in most schools lacking. The parents are
also another factor to consider in this equation, most parents from my
observation have given up on their kids because most think it is the
responsibility of schools to mould their children. Most parents of this
generation were those during Armin's regime where joining the army was the
only thing people looked up to, Now 30 years back, you can see some of the
impact because a good number of these parents never realised the importance
of education as such they really do not have much to offer to their
children in terms of education. The students themselves are also another
factor. In the village if you observe how students go to school in the
morning, you can never see an urgency of students wishing to arrive in
time. But if you can observe how these students rush to the local video
centres, you will think that the students are rushing for something which
if they do not get they will die. Moreover these students are in these
video stores or dancing halls till the wee hours of the morning and the
parents cannot even say anything, If they did the students begin to calling
for their rights and child abuse. The idea of promoting students to next
class without proper evaluation of their understanding level of the subject
matter content has to stop and teaching only to pass exams is another
blunder I see in most schools. Interestingly most of these students write
their exams in English, but they can hardly write or speak a good English
sentences. can you imagine what these students write in their exams which
are all in English!!
It may appear like I am exaggerating, but these are some of the things I
have observed right in the village let alone the urban centres.

As Lulua has put it correctly, it is difficult to put a finger at only one
factor as the cause of the decline of the standards of the performance in
our schools that otherwise used to produce excellent results. This problem
needs to be looked at a wider perspective because their are all intertwined
and interrelated. We truly have a such a big challenge to tackle. A change
of government and a change in education policies may be the right place to
start so that we have to move in a complete different direction in terms of
how issues related to education are viewed.
Corruption and Corruption, especially in the lucrative UPE and USE has to
be addressed in a serious way without mercy if the education quality has to
improve in the whole country.

Vasco