From: westnilenet-boun...@kym.net [mailto:westnilenet-boun...@kym.net] On
Behalf Of Caleb Alaka
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2012 9:14 AM
To: Sam Aderubo; A Virtual Network for friends ofWest Nile
Cc: A Virtual Network for friends of West Nile
Subject: Re: [WestNileNet] Cotton Industry coming back

I grew up seeing people growing cotton on small scale and it used to assist the
less fortunate Teregians as we call ourselves as mattresses. Most of my tribes
mates from Terego would come to Senior one when they are fathers (Pun
intended). Any way , Acholis today are undertaking large commercial farming
using combine harvesters and tractors. I saw a story in the new vision some
time ago (may be The Monitor) where former IDP dwellers who used to depend on
WFP were now supplying WFP. May be our issues are not about how lucrative
cotton or tobacco may be but rather, the scale with which we undertake
ventures. Do we even have land or capacity to grow meaningful cotton? We used
to have cottage industries were ladies used to make sweaters and crochets do we
still have capacity. Are there other things we can do targeting the Sudan and
Congo markets to kick out poverty. I am just thinking loudly. Good day

Sent from my iPhone