Dear folks,
Many opinions expressed on this forum have spanned a range
of approaches for thinking about, and working to improve quality of education
in our region. May I ask; does someone have a researched document highlighting
some of the key causes of the declining performance in our schools? If yes, may
we share such write-up so that it can   give an impetus to the kind of
intervention/seminar/workshop
the WNF is about to organize.
I know, we have heard testimonies from teachers, students,
parents and many others who partake in the education systems of our region, but
I still belief that testimonies without empirical data may not provide us with
better insights into how we can jointly rescue the sinking boat.
Fagil Mande the Chairman UNEB may have lambasted “mediocrity”,
as the main cause of the poor performance in schools, but unfortunately,
himself as a senior educationist may not have even suggested ways to kick  such
mediocrity  out of the system. Is it because of the liberalization
of the education sector, or it’s a caste system in schools? Yes, mediocre
students go to mediocre schools to be taught by mediocre teachers.
I’m of the view that if we had reliable information on the main
causes  of the declining
performance(although this is likely to vary from district to district or even
from school to school) we would then be able
to make recommendations after examining the broad perspectives such as the
socio-cultural environment in which our students study; policy and  political
frame-works etc.
Some districts like Arua took the first steps and developed
the Education Ordinance, but the question is; what is the impact of such
legislation?
Maybe it’s still too early to ask.
Otherwise, if not well planned, we risk recycling the old
stories we hear on the radios about the usual low grades without anything
significantly novel.
Good Weekend,
Kefa  Atibuni